Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Book Every American Should Read

This is the book I should have read when I first started trying to figure out what was going on with this whole autism/vaccines thing.

It hasn't been clear to me thus far, but this excellently written book, Evidence of Harm, by David Kirby is telling me the history of this whole ordeal. The issue is newer than I thought (according to this book, concerned parents didn't even know that thimerosal was mercury until 1999), yet still entirely too long-lived. A lot of hard-working, passionate parents have done a lot of good and faced a mountain of opposition. Mr. Kirby, I think this book will go down in history as the one that told the story when so many still couldn't hear.

The book reads like a novel yet is solidly documented. I have been devouring it and have learned a ton, yet I'm only 1/4th of the way through. I can't wait to read it again tomorrow (had to stop today when my eyes couldn't take it anymore!).

I don't know if this will bring me much closer to deciding what is best for my baby, since thimerosal is almost all phased out of vaccines, but it certainly gives me a greater understanding of the public health machine we're dealing with. All I can say is, you are not crazy to do your homework on your child's vaccinations. And you should read this book! Get on Amazon or Ebay or what-have-you and spend a few bucks on a cheap copy. I personally think this is one of the most important stories to be told.

No comments: